Band camp is the start of marching season. The opportunity to get the band together and learn the show before the school year starts is one of the most important opportunities that the Marching Band has. Students will use this time not only to learn the marching band show, but also to get to know each other better and establish the sense of camaraderie and collective responsibility that is crucial to success. After all, Band is a team sport!
Every student is a vital member of the ensemble; there are no “benchwarmers” in marching band. Full participation of each and every student in the band is the only path towards success. As such, attendance at band camp is required for participation throughout the season.
2022 Marching Band Camp Dates:
- Monday, August 15 through Friday August 19: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Monday August 22: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday, August 23 through Friday, August 26: 5:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Each day of band camp is equivalent to approximately one full week of instructional time during the school year, so missing even one day can put a student considerably behind their peers in learning the show.
- Students should arrive at least 15 minutes before the start of camp in order to ensure they are in place with all their necessary materials. Please do not arrive more than 30 minutes early as there may not be an instructor present.
- Band camp rehearsals will end at the scheduled time, but there will be a delay before students are available for pickup. After rehearsal, students will listen to brief announcements before packing up their things. They will then be dismissed. This takes around 15 minutes.
- A positive attitude is critical to accomplishing difficult tasks. This is one of the most important life skills we learn as musicians and marching band members. We will have a successful season this year because of our commitment to see it through. Bring this determination with you to camp each day and we will be unstoppable.
- Start preparing now: get outside and try to get a bit more used to the heat, get good sleep, and try and get some light exercise in between now and August 15th. Even just 15 minutes a day now will make a huge difference in how you feel on the first days of camp. Write your name on anything you plan to bring to camp. Many items look alike.
- If you were using a school-owned instrument in middle school, you will be issued a new instrument on the first day of camp. Returning members using school-owned instruments will be issued an instrument on the first day of camp if they do not already have one issued to them. If you already have a marching band instrument issued to you, please bring it, along with any and all school-issued instruments you have. This is so Mr. Zoellers can ensure he has an accurate inventory to start the year.
Everything you need to know about Band Camp can be found in the 2022 Band Camp Handboook:
- Required items
- Highly recommended items
- Health and safety information
- Daily schedules
- Rehearsal checklists
- Drop off/Pick up instructions
- Map of practice areas and drop off/pick up locations